Suggested <span class="highlight">camps</span>

Submitted: Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 10:14
ThreadID: 140385 Views:10519 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Fellow Explorers,
We are looking at a possible trip to Cameron Corner once we can travel again. we are looking for suggested campsites around, Tiboburra, Wanaaring, White Cliffs and Wilcannia.
We have an off road Hybrid van, fully self contained. do people stay in these towns, or best to camp out a bit?
Cheers,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 10:23

Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 10:23
Outside Tibooburra we camped at
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgrounds/dead-horse-gully-campground
had a lovely time.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633000

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 17:14

Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 17:14
Yes, my grandson and I swagged there in October last year, loved it.

Next time the old reserve.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 909904

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:11

Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:11
We loved the campground at Tibooburra at the Old aboriginal reserve. Large shelter with tables & power, hot showers, large communal firepit, & toilets all in a lovely sheltered setting , with some good short walks leading from the campground to historical sites as well as for observing wildlife. Icing on the cake was a good phone signal! We stayed there late 2017. Cost then was a reasonable $15 per night paid at the Aboriginal Land Council in town (a house). I read more recently that you now pay at the Corner Country Store. Either will be easy to find, it's not a big place. Campground is about 1km out of town.

In Wanaaring there is free camping allowed opposite the pub on the river banks, but if you go to the pub for a meal or drinks & get talking to locals there is a good chance you may be invited to camp at a waterhole on the Paroo by a station owner, We did, & it remains one of our favourite camps.

In White Cliffs there is just the one small caravan park, but we got lucky & got talking to some local miners whilst sitting outside the general store, who not only invited us to dinner at their amazing underground home, but also allowed us to camp on their claim in the opal field. First though we had to be intoduced to other miners living & working on their claims. Strangers mooching around unannounced could be seen through very suspicious eyes & besides it could be a dangerous place to go driving through without guidance - their are a lot of very deep holes very close to each other!

We didn't stay in Wilcannia, but a tip for cheaper fuel is to find the BP depot around the back streets on the southern side of town

Menindee to White Cliffs

http://cuppa500.com/Blog/2017/08/02/white-cliffs-to-wanaaring/

http://cuppa500.com/Blog/2017/09/26/birdsville-to-tibooburra/

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 633001

Follow Up By: Member - nellyjr - Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 15:17

Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 15:17
Great feedback and links,
Thankyou,
FollowupID: 909901

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 13:16

Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 13:16
Depending upon whether you are also visiting Innaminka or not, a great place to stay and incorporate a loop to see the Dig Tree, etc. is Noccundra, on the waterhole. It is about 2.5 hrs north of Tibooburra and makes for a great stay on the way to the Dig Tree. The waterhole is lovely and the pub is 5-10 minute walk from your camp! Meals and fuel available . We were very happy we decided to go that way the last trip.

Cheers,
Mark
AnswerID: 633002

Reply By: Stephen H15 - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2020 at 00:48

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2020 at 00:48
Agree with Cuppa re Aboriginal Reserve at Tib. Pretty pricey at Cameron Corner store area so I suggest making it a day trip there and back to Tib. Wanaaring Store also has the caravan park. Fair enough prices and nice set-up. I hope to get to that area in about 7 weeks, delayed from original plan. There have been road closures due to recent rain so make sure that you find out about this and current road conditions just before you head off for there. Ask at White Cliffs if there camping is permitted in Paroo National Park (on the way to Wanaaring).
AnswerID: 633016

Reply By: Life Member - Woodsy - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2020 at 09:59

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2020 at 09:59
Hi Nellyjr

Would highly recommend Fort Grey Campground approx 110k from Tibooburra and only 30k from CC
A nice campground with good toilets, shelters and water
Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 633021

Reply By: rumpig - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2020 at 15:04

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2020 at 15:04
On the outskirts of Wilcannia as you come from Cobar direction is a nice camp ground, stayed there in February this year. Looking at WikiCamps it appears to be called Warrawong on the Darling...nice hosts back then, I had left me sleeping bag at home after thinking it was still in my swag, so they lent me a sheet and blanket for the night which was great as that night was very cool.
AnswerID: 633024

Follow Up By: Member - nellyjr - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2020 at 12:07

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2020 at 12:07
Thanks for the recommendation. We had thought of looking at this one.
FollowupID: 909933

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2020 at 13:40

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2020 at 13:40
Yep, Warrawong on the Darling. I reckon it's the 'only' place to stay in Wilcania.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 909934

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 21:06

Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 21:06
Wilcannia provides camping for every need. Warrawong provides quality caravan park accommodation up on the bank and riverside unpowered camping along the river flats. Closer into town there is Victory Park Caravan Park which is a value park with a good writeup in WikiCamps. There is also a freeby on the other side of the river to Warrawong - Wilcannia TSR Reserve Steamers Point. Access this one from the North Tilpa Rd.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 909963

Sponsored Links